Contributors

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Like the sands of the hour glass...

I am one of those glass half empty people. I'm happy and cheerful most of the time but in the back of my mind I am usually waiting for something to go wrong or worrying about something. I have a hard time "living in the moment". Brent, on the other hand, lives in the nanosecond. I guess that is what makes us a good team. I only bring this up because, as is my nature, I have begun worrying that we are not going to have enough time to see and do everything I want to. Are we going to fly to see the falls? Are we taking a bus to Mendoza? How long are we going to stay there? Should we see Salta, or go to Cordoba? How about Uruguay? It gets a bit overwhelming, especially when Brent's opinion usually is "whatever you think." But then again, it is free rein to do whatever I want. Hmmmn...

This week has had its ups and downs. I went from my first experience of homesickness, to never wanting to leave here. (That is until Brent reminded me that they do have Winter here.) We upped our spanish lessons to three times a week, which I am sure will help a lot. We found a new grocery store nearby that has amazingly cheap meat. I bought 2 huge tbone steaks at least an inch thick for $11 pesos! (that's less than $4 US) I have been cooking at home lately and have mastered the steak in a frying pan. I am pretty good with scallops as well. Cooking is kind of a challenge when the oven has only one temperature-f**ing hot, but yet doesn't have the broiler feature. There are 2 frying pans, one tiny, the other huge, and no sauce pans. Just call me the magic chef.

We went to our corner bar on Thursday to watch the college football finals. The game started here at 11pm. I made it thru the first 3 minutes of the 4th quarter and had to call it a night. It was, afterall, 3am! I hate Florida and didn't want to see them win anyway. Also, I am still in my January's Two Weeks Of No Alcohol so it got a little tedious being so close and yet so far. Brent made it through to the end and is not participating in January's Two Weeks Of No Alcohol, so he was a bit out of it in our spanish lesson at 9am Friday!

Yesterday we spent in the park. I packed a picnic, Brent carried the blanket, and we hung out under the shade trees watching the paddleboats on the lake and people trying to learn how to rollerblade- always good for a laugh. Oh, and I woud be remiss if I didn't let you know that I beat Brent so bad in Scrabble that he just quit rather than playing it out to the end. Big baby!

No comments: