Contributors

Friday, October 24, 2008

8 days until departure

The bon voyage party went very well. We had nice weather, a lot of sun but still a little chilly, maybe 60 in the shade and 70 in the sun. It was held at Candler park in Atlanta, we reserved a little pavillion, brought ten pounds of pork barbeque, soft drinks, and some beer and the guests brought side items, desserts, and some games like croquet.

We entertained from about noon until 6pm. We had parents, sister, cousins of all kinds, work associates, and many friends. Many of our guests brought their children and Fran and I had a blast watching them play, run around, climb trees, throw balls, etc. It really was a great time for us and we are glad we did it.

So far we have sold our tractor and my car and a bunch of junk in a yard sale. I do not think we will be selling anything else. We raised about $10k towards our trip from things we no longer wanted or needed. Nice! We have also rented our home, and we now have a renter for the loft! Just as expected, 8 days from departure and people are fighting over it. I was emailed a contract yesterday and they were upset because they did not get it first. They wanted to make a better offer, but I told them I had already signed the new lease. The new tenant signed a year lease and moves in mid-November. He is also a friend of a friend, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

Fran began the 3 day breast cancer walk today. They walk 20 miles per day for three days and camp in between days. I dropped her off this morning at 7 am and it was cold and raining. It is supposed to rain all day. I felt so bad for her and her friends. What a sucky day to start, cold and rainy. They raised a ton of money for breast cancer research and they all get my respect for that, but if they can maintain a positive attitude through this walk, well then Argentina will be a breeze.

I need to visit the Argentine consolate here in Atlanta to make sure there are no surprises when we get off the plane in Buenos Aires. The consolate is in a building with tough parking so I want to ride my scooter, but it is poring rain today. It may have to wait until next week.

I automated our bill paying and transferring of funds last night. I was a little complicated and may still need some tweeking once in Argentina, but overall I feel pretty good about how we will be able to still earn some interest on the money, be able to pay bills, and invest in the market in the U.S. during this unprecedented opportunity to buy low. If you are not buying stock every month right now in the U.S., you will kick yourself in a few years. I also look forward to learning more about the opportunities in the Argentine stock market, as it has taken a beating as of late too. Good thing the dollar just keeps getting stronger!

The hardest part of pre-departure is left to do. Fran and I still have to pare down again and pack for the next 6 months. How will we ever be able to carry all we want to bring? I expect tension. Leaving our dog, Ramona, will be tough too.

Our departure date falls on dia de los muertos, all saints and all souls day. It is a celebration of your old life dying and the new one being born. How appropriate. I guess we are now in the final throws of our old life and looking towards the new one!

No comments: