Contributors

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Flashback from the past

They say sound can trigger all kinds of memory from your past. I have to agree with whoever "they" are after listening to a band from my past, Donkey. After about 2 bars of the first song I was transported back in time to when I was 25, carefree, and full of Potential. Donkey is one of the best bands I have ever had the pleasure of seeing live, yet they only lasted a few years, breaking up for God knows why. What could this possibly have to do with our trip to Buenos Aires, you might ask? Well, it is an all good things must come to an end situation. Sometimes you just have to move on.
We are headed to Peru on Saturday to continue on our journey of learning and exploring life outside of the states. I am a bit sad about leaving although I am looking foreward to meeting new people and experiencing a new culture. But... what if they like eating dinner at 6 pm and all the girls wear nothing but turtlenecks and sweatpants? You can only assimilate so much!
Tomorrow we will go back to the school where we started or language learning process and arrange for 4 weeks of classes in Lima and then book our flight and confirm our apartment. Also I am meeting with a local bookseller to sell all of our books, and later go by the salvation army and donate the clothes that I now know I will never wear again. Hopefully that will get our luggage down to a reasonable weight.
I know you can never go back, but I hope when I here the sounds of tango, or the call of an ice cream seller, I will be happily transported back to Buenos Aires, just as I was transported back to those great times in Atlanta by the music of Donkey.

No comments: