Contributors

Monday, March 23, 2009

Nancy Negitivity

I am one of those people who likes to assume that things, places, or events are going to be terrible; so that when they turn out good, I am pleasantly surprised. I am trying to keep that knowledge about myself in the forefront of my thoughts as I consider our move to Lima. To be honest, I know next to nothing about Peru or Lima. Brent's feeling is that is what makes travel exciting, wheras me, Negative Nancy, is feeling like we may have made a hasty decision.
Today we sold all our unwanted books to a book buyer and picked up a copy of Loney Planet's South America Guide. Granted, South America is a large continent with many countries, so there were not a whole lot of pages dedicated to Lima, Peru. 5 pages. Most of them filled with information about the poverty levels, the constant fog, the unmetered taxis, the unsafe areas at night, ect. So, of course, I am a little freaked out. There is a reason I chose to come to Argentina and Buenos Aires in particular- it sounded (through months of research) like a great place. Even without the dose of negativity beforehand I would have been pleasantly surprised. Brent promises to go get a guide book devoted solely to Peru tomorrow. I only hope it will be full of fantastic complements so I can retire some of my fears. Come on, Peru! Surprise me!

No comments: